I loved the readings this week and they really inspired me.  The talk from President Benson was really good and it helped me see where I can improve in my own life.  I also sent it to my siblings because I loved it so much and they loved it too.  It sparked some great conversations with my family and I am going to share it with my kids next.  
On thing I talked to my sister about is how our kids sometimes don't understand pride and why they need to be cautious about it. I think defiance is also related to pride and how destructive it can be just because we don't want to conform to what society, our parents or even the church wants us to do.  
I agree with President Benson that pride can be misunderstood and loved all of his examples that he shared.  One quote that stood out to me is:
Pride is a sin that can readily be seen in others but is rarely admitted in ourselves. Most of us consider pride to be a sin of those on the top, such as the rich and the learned, looking down at the rest of us. (See 2 Ne. 9:42Links to an external site..) There is, however, a far more common ailment among us—and that is pride from the bottom looking up. It is manifest in so many ways, such as faultfinding, gossiping, backbiting, murmuring, living beyond our means, envying, coveting, withholding gratitude and praise that might lift another, and being unforgiving and jealous.
This really did open my eyes to what kind of pride I may have at different times.  I am not one to think that I am better than other people but can see that I may make quick judgements at times in different situations without really thinking about it.  
One of my siblings is going through some hard times in his marriage and it is so hard to watch knowing that there are simple things he can do to fix it.  I know I don't know everything going on but it is obvious pride has taken a role in part of it.  
I have a lot to work on as a wife, mother, sister, and friend.  I pray that I can be humble enough to listen to the Spirit and see where I can change myself and not expect it from anyone else first.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I learned

Not a 50/50 Marriage