I would say that my marriage is characterized by a positive sentiment override an hope that my husband would agree. I think we have always been like this even from the very beginning. He came from a family where he never even saw his parent's disagree much and wasn't sure how to handle conflict in a marriage and I was well versed in how not to handle conflict in a marriage by watching my parents. Learning all that I am in these marriage classes, really surprises me I am not more crazy than I am. Haha. I know that sounds odd but I can see the effect my parent's marriage has had on my siblings marriages and it really comes down to the kind of spouses that we married. Luckily all seven of them are saints and put up with our crazy, mostly.
I grew up being shy and quiet and observed behaviors well. I learned by watching the mistakes and successes that others made. Some mistakes I watched my older siblings make, secured my conviction in not ever making those same mistakes. Also, watching my parent's relationship helped me to see what I didn't want to do in a marriage.
Gottman demonstrates what a happy marriage looks like and agrees that it is based on friendship, he says, "At the heart of the Seven Principles is the simple truth that happy marriages are based on deep friendship. By this I mean a mutual respect for and enjoyment of each other's company. These couple tend to know each other intimately - they are well versed in each other's likes, dislikes, personality quirks, hopes and dreams. They have an abiding regard for each other and express this fondness not just in the big ways but through small gestures day in and day out."
I married a man who loves me very much and shows me on a daily basis. About five years ago randomly, he started buying me flowers frequently. I didn't notice a pattern at all but was happy and felt loved when he did. After a few months of this, I asked him why he was buying me flowers all the time instead of just on special occasions, and he said, "I want you to be reminded of how much I love you even if I am not home. I want you to look at the beautiful flowers and be reminded of the love I have for you." I was touched, and he has faithfully bought me flowers every Friday for the last five years. Even when I used to travel to see my mom monthly he would send me flowers there. Of course, it's not about the flowers but the reason and thought that they represent. I have also learned by his example, of little things to do for him that he enjoys as well, like making him his favorite dinner on fast Sundays, or simply sitting by him and holding his hand. As we have thought of ways to help each other or show each other that we love them, it is easier to let petty things go and recognize they aren't important.
Comments
Post a Comment