- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Sacrifice
Sacrifice can be a learned behavior. It can come easily to some and very difficult to others. Sacrifice in marriage comes down to selfishness, in my opinion. Are you more concerned with what you are giving up or are you more concerned with what you can gain if a sacrifice is given.
It is hard for me to pinpoint one thing that I have sacrificed in order to make my marriage work or be better. At first glance I feel like I haven't scarified enough. There are many things that I can do to help make my marriage even better now. The only thing that I feel like I have sacrificed even if in a small way is time. I have given up time I could spend doing what I want to spend time doing what he wants. There are many things I do for my husband but I don't feel like they are big sacrifices. I genuinely enjoy spending time with him, just talking, traveling or sitting on the couch holding hands. I am sure there are things I have given up along the way but they just don't seem like sacrifices, they were easy to give up. That is what it seems like now, anyway.
In the beginning of my marriage 20 some odd years ago, I can tell you that spending time with my siblings and parents was probably the biggest sacrifice I made. I was very close to my siblings and we enjoyed playing games and being with each other. When I got married I had to sacrifice time with my family and spend it with his family during the holidays or even just on Sunday evenings. It was hard to adjust to another family and how they worked. I learned to love them though and they have been a huge blessing in my life.
I love what H. Wallace Goddard said in Drawing Heaven into Your Marriage, he said, "
We covenant to bring all to the altar. The Lord cannot bless what we will not bring. He asks that we bring our whole souls to Him so that He can transform us." I think that is what we need to do to have a happy healthy marriage, is being willing to be transformed into what serves Heavenly Father, our spouse, our family and ultimately ourselves.
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Comments
Post a Comment